Dr. Tayyab Abbas
Dr. Tayyab Abbas
Professor of Surgery
HEAD OF DEPARTMENT OF SURGICAL UNIT I
Dr Tayyab Abbas is the head of Surgical Department at Allama Iqbal medical college. He is one of the top laparoscopic and general surgeons practicing in Pakistan and is playing a significant role in the department of surgery at Jinnah Hospital, Lahore. He graduated from Quaid e Azam Medical College, Bahawalpur in 1985. He completed his residency in General Surgery in 1993. His multitasking capabilities, versatile nature and considerable experience aided him in managing different disciplines at colleges and universities, his services at different designations include :
- Secretary Academic council AIMC/JHL
- Chairman Hostel affairs committee AIMC/JHL
- Member of affiliation committee UHS
- Member of synopsis evaluation committee UHS
- Member of Disciplinary Committee
He is extraordinarily proactive surgeon, who is ambitious for raising awareness about medical issues and using his valuable knowledge to guide and channelize energies in young surgical residents.
Surgical Unit I is one of the four units of General Surgery Department at Allama Iqbal Medical College, Lahore. It is headed by Prof Dr. Tayyab Abbas along with a dedicated team comprising one Assistant Professor, one Associate Professor, three Senior Registrars, twenty-four Post Graduate Residents and thirty House Surgeons. The unit has 44 beds including HDU to look after critically ill patients and also houses a Day Case Surgery Center to facilitate patient care. Our mission statement is:
- Strive to provide state of art surgical care with innovation in existing resources.
- To improve the knowledge ,skills and attitude of undergraduate and post graduate medical students in a friendly environment.
- We provide state of the art facilities in the management of breast diseases, endocrine diseases, colorectal and hepatobiliary diseases to patients from all over Punjab. Under the dynamic leadership of Prof Tayyab Abbas , the unit has been conducting breast cancer awareness campaign with full zeal and fervor for the masses every year in the month of October for last five years.
- Training and education of medical students and surgical residents is given pivotal importance. A structured clinical teaching program has been devised and implemented for undergraduate medical students as well as FCPS and MS surgery post graduate trainees.
- A three-month internship is offered to house surgeons in which they are involved in clinical assessment, pre-operative preparation and post-operative management of patients in emergency, out-door and indoor departments.
- The unit conducts frequent hands-on training such as surgical skills workshops, seminars and symposiums for trainee doctors as well as weekly case presentations, journal club meetings, monthly internal surgical audit and fortnightly tumor boards to facilitate patient care and to keep our doctors abreast with the latest developments and practices in the field of surgery.
- A complete set of local protocols/guidelines (SOPS) has been formulated to provide safe medical care to patients keeping in view the facilities and resources available in Jinnah hospital.
- Future endeavors include getting the unit recognized for second FCPS fellowship through CPSP in Oncoplastic breast and colorectal surgery.
Dr. Kamran Ch.
Dr. Kiran Siddiqui
Dr. Mustansar Riaz Gondal
Dr. Abdul Majeed
Dr. Nizam Abdul Qadir